Tuesday, July 7, 2009

I love conspiracy theories.

I love conspiracy theories


Conspiracy theories are great. My current favorites are the ones surrounding the JFK assassination. There is no direct evidence of anything other that Lee Oswald killed JFK, by himself with no help, yet there is always so much controversy surrounding the facts. If Jack Ruby could have kept control of his temper and not killed Oswald perhaps all of the controversy would have never been.

I wonder if most of the controversy surrounding the assassination stem from Oliver Stone’s Movie JFK. It seems that so many people take this move as fact when Mr. Stone admitted that he took artistic license with the timeline and the facts.

Mr. Stone’s movie maintains the theory of the so-called magic bullet, and The Pristine bullet. Mr. Stone also maintains that Oswald was a poor shot and could not have possibly fired 3 bullets in six seconds from a bolt-action rifle.

The magic bullet theory is as follows. At the time of the second shot JFK and the Texas Governor were struck. The adherents of the magic bullet there claim that in order for a single bullet to have struck JFK and the Governor and created a single wound path though both men it would have had to enter JFK’s back then exited JFK just under his neck going up. Then the bullet would have to pause in mid air. Turn left then right and enter the Governor’s body under his right armpit exit his chest just under his left nipple continue on though his left wrist and into left thigh.

The problem with this theory is obvious bullets do not behave this way. The adherents of this theory argue that there is no way one shot could have produced the wound path. They claim based on the wounds received by both men there must be more that one shooter. On the surface they seem to be right but there is a fundamental problem with this theory.

In order for this theory to work JFK and the Governor must be seated at the same height and width in the car. The Magic bullet theory also requires the Governor to be facing forward at the time of the shot. If you look at the tape of the assassination and the type of car used you will find that JFK was actually sitting 6 inches to the right and 3 inches higher than the Governor. In addition the Governor was not facing forward but had turned his body sharply to the right. With the correct seating arrangement in mind one can trace a single path though all of the entry and exit wounds on both Men. So much for the “Magic Bullet”

The so-called Pristine Bullet is even easier to debunk. According to the theory the bullet found with The Governor’s body could not have been fired it was not damaged enough. It had to have been planted by someone. Mr. Stone’s movie Claims that Jack Ruby planted it to frame Oswald. A quick glance at the photos of the bullet shows the errors the bullet is not pristine. It has obvious striations from rifling and the bullet is dented.

Mr. Stone’s movie claims the Oswald was a poor shot and could not have hit JFK at a distance of 88 yards and could not have possibly fired 3 shots in 6 seconds.

There are two problems with this theory. One Oswald was a Marine and rated was rated by the Corps as a Marksman. He regularly hit 48 and 49 out of a possible 50 at 200 yards.

The problem with 3 shots in 6 seconds well this is where Mr. Stone took artistic license with the timeline. The actual footage of the assassination reveals that all three shots were fired in 8 seconds not 6. More than enough time for an 80-year-old man to demonstrate for the History Channel that it quite possible to fire 3 shots in less than 8 seconds.

I have to admit that Personally I’d rather there was a conspiracy. I find that having more than one person involved in the shooting is more comfortable. I say comfortable because after analyzing my feelings involved I realized the idea of one man on his own being able to kill the most protected man in the United States to be frightening. After all if one man determined to kill JFK succeeded how easy would it be for a person bent on my death to kill me? It is a sobering thought.

Perhaps this others share my fear? Perhaps this fear is what really keeps these conspiracy theories going?

What are your thoughts?

2 comments:

Kevin_Sampson said...

At some point I threw together the all inclusive conspiracy theory about Fred, the gas station attendant in Australia who secretly rules the world. It can easily incorporate JFK and I've already included him, Hitler and Elvis. Can't remember but I think I told you about it before.

Brandon said...

Yes I remember Fred and I still fear him.