Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Something has got to be done. (parental discretion is advised no really I am not sure young readers should read this one)

I am not sure what but something has to be done. I have found something disturbing, I guess you could call it Utah's dirty secret. Every year since 2000 Utah has had a rape rate higher than the national average. Supposedly in 2003 Utah's rape rate was second only to Alaska. (reported in the salt lake Tribune)

Last year, the rate was not the second highest in the nation but is was still above average. In my opinion that is simply not acceptable. Of course I am not sure what to do about it. I am already an advocate for responsible gun ownership and concealed carry. A weapon is a great explanation point to NO!

Rape is an infuriating topic for me, I have known victims and have seen the emotional trauma and pain that is the result of the assault. Many of the victims feel that the attack was somehow their fault. I can't emphasize this enough, it is not the fault of the victim. The victim didn't have a choice in the matter. It is the sole fault of the attacker. I am not just talking about the attackers that come from the bushes. I'm also talking about date rapists as well. In the case of date rape it is still the fault of the rapist and not the fault of his victim.

There are predators among us. I believe they used the feeling of guilt and shame their victims feel as s cloak to hide their despicable actions so they can prey on other victims. I think that somehow we need to pierce the cloak of secrecy take away the predator's camouflage and bring them to justice.

One of my cousins had an idea of what to do with rapist. He suggested locking them in a room with 5 of her biggest friends for 10 min. The friends should be given baseball bats. If the rapist can walk out his punishment is over. If not well that is just too damn bad.

I am not sure I disagree with him.

No comments: